Diefenbaker Canada Centre - History Travels
19-Jul-2017 - Diefenbaker Canada Centre
The Diefenbaker Canada Centre is pleased to invite Saskatchewan Foster Families to take part in our new summer community outreach initiative: History Travels 2017. Single families or groups of families may be interested in our offered programs.
In celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary, this project offers a large variety of historical experiences focused on Canadian history and culture to diverse community organizations and groups. The topics presented create a wide ranging image of Canadian history that will enable participants of all ages and backgrounds to explore the development of our nation’s identity, which will be of great interest and significance for newcomers, youth, seniors, and all interested in learning more about Canada’s diversity and unique history.
The programs, tours, and activities are highly adaptable and customizable to suit your group’s interests and abilities and there are program options that can travel to your venue and others that take place at the Diefenbaker Canada Centre (DCC). Programs can be anywhere from an hour to a full day, and multiple options can be combined, for small or larger groups. We have hosted many groups with intellectual disabilities and are eager to tailor our programming to ensure a positive and enjoyable experience for your group.
History Travels 2017 offers:
- Five mobile displays - on women’s suffrage, the Great War, Confederation, the Maple Leaf, and Whitecap Dakota First Nation. Each has connected activities
- Three gallery exhibits – on the First World War, Vimy Ridge, and John G. Diefenbaker. Each has connected activities available
- Exhibit connected programming – on the Great War and women’s suffrage
- Campus Tours – both general history and Great War focused (virtual available for those with limited mobility)
- Little Stone Schoolhouse – programs at the city’s first public school and building
- Civic Educational Programming – on elections, democracy, and government
To see full descriptions of the many options available, please see the attached program option list. An official invitation letter is also attached that contains further information on the project and the Diefenbaker Canada Centre. Please help us share this opportunity by forwarding this information on to the appropriate offices.
Please contact us to discuss the best options for your group; we are excited to work with you to create a memorable and enjoyable experience for all participants!